I first ventured to the beautiful country of Greece in September 2016. I remember having no idea what to pack, how to pack it or what to expect. My travels included staying in Athens and then island hopping from Mykonos to Santorini to Ios. As a 23 year old solo female traveler at the time, I scoured the internet trying to find someone who could prepare me for what lay ahead. So that leads me to this post. I traveled between September and October and the weather was still warm, ranging from 26c-33c. Other times of the year will vary with the hottest time to travel being July. This list should cover you for travel in the warmer months.
The ultimate girls guide to packing for 2 weeks in Greece:
- Travel adapter (Cannot stress enough how crucial this little guy will be. Pack at least two, as if you’re like me then you will have a habit of leaving them behind in your hotel room)
- Phone charger
- Phone (I will write another post about getting a travel sim sorted)
- Underwater camera (How I wish I owned a GoPro to take those underwater shots)
- Polaroid Camera (Photos make great gifts and memories for new friends)
- Hair Straightener (I use my GHD often at home and it worked fine with an adapter Greece).
- 3x Casual beach/day dresses.
- 4x Play suits or nice going out dresses. (You may think you can get by on one or two but trust me, the Greek Islands have an epic party scene and you don’t want to be wishing you packed a change of outfit for different nights.3x Shorts. (I recommend at least one being of the active variety)
- 5x Mix of singlets or shirts.
- 2x Light jumpers or cardigans. (Come in handy at the end of a night out or when exploring one of the windy islands.. I’m looking at you Mykonos).
- 3x Swimwear. (I had 3 sets on the go, you may need more. Greek islands are famous for their beautiful beaches, so don’t forget!)
- 10x Undies. (Easy enough to wash and dry overnight).
- 4x Bra. (Pack a nice one…you never know!)
- 4x Socks.
- 1 x Compression pants (For the plane)
- 1x Loose fitting hoodie/ plane clothing.
- Flat sandals (Do not pack heels for going out. The ground is very uneven on the islands and is made from either marble or large uneven stones. Unless you want to spend your trip on crutches…wear flats).
- Runners (You will wish you had these. Especially if planning on climbing volcanoes or doing any exploring).
- Sneakers. (I cant go anywhere without my Vans. They will be nice change if you get blisters from your thongs).
- Tooth paste.
- Shampoo/ Conditioner.
- Treatment hair spray/oil of the hydrating variety. Being in the water every day does dry out your hair!
- Hand sanitiser. (Because germs are scary).
- Sunscreen. (Seriously, the lobster look is not fun).
- Your Make-up bag! (If you have one, but don’t overdo it. The natural look is a real winner here).
- Face wipes.
Other noteworthy items:
- Passport (You may say “Duh Kate” but I have actually forgotten this before…more on that later).
- Pens (To fill out those pesky travel doc’s).
- Ear phones.
- Sunglasses. (Pack at least two pairs!).
- Travel Documents (For hotels etc.).
- A hat…the sun in Greece is hot, hot, hot!
- An adult coloring book. I know it sounds lame but it was a good way to pass the time on the ferries between islands and I even had new friends colouring in pages and leaving me cute messages, so it was worthwhile.
Finally it is worth noting that their is no strict dress code when going out in Greece. If you plan on going clubbing or out bar hopping, then thongs and a singlet will get you by just fine. I was surprised how casual most people dressed and if you are in Ios then you will more than likely be picking up a free singlet and rocking that for the evening after a cheeky 7 shots… (more about that later). Any suggestions? Add them to the comments.Enjoy your time in Greece! I am so jealous x